UFC 104 QUICK RESULTS:
***Lyoto Machida def. Mauricio “Shogun” Rua via Uunanimous Decision
***Cain Velasquez def. Ben Rothwell via TKO (Strikes), Rd. 2
***Gleison Tibau def. Josh Neer via Unanimous Decision
***Joe Stevenson def. Spencer Fisher via TKO (strikes), Rd. 2
***Anthony “Rumble” Johnson def. Yoshiyuki “Zenko” Yoshida via TKO (strikes), Rd.1
***Ryan “Darth” Bader def. Eric “Red” Schafer via Unanimous Decision
***Pat Barry def. Antoni Hardonk via TKO (strikes), Rd. 2
///Chael Sonnen def. Yushin “Thunder” Okami via Unanimous Decision
///Jorge “El Conquistador” Rivera def. Rob “The Rosedale Reaper” Kimmons via TKO (strikes), Rd. 3
***Kyle Kingsbury defeats Razak Al-Hassan via Split Decision
///Stefan “Skyscraper” Struve defeats Chase Gormley via Submission (Triangle Choke), Rd. 1
*** = Correct Pick. --- /// = Incorrect Pick.
I went 1-3 with my predictions for the first four fights, but then I ran the table on the last seven to finish the night 8-3 (%72.7). That brings my overall score to 106-59 (%64.2) and 12-4 (%75.0) in main events.
Obviously, I'm happy with that result, but first let me just say that I personally scored the main event for Mauricio Rua. I believe "Shogun" clearly won the fourth and fifth rounds, and I also gave him the first round based on effective counters as well some solid body shots and leg kicks. That being said, I can also understand the argument for giving Lyoto Machida the first round and "The Dragon" convincingly won the second and third. In that first round, Machida landed a devastating knee to the body and a few other significant shots. So, while it wasn't enough for me to give Machida the opening round and thus the fight, I don't think this was an epically horrible call, as some are suggesting. Dana White already stated that a rematch is imminent. I can't wait.
- Cain Velasquez may not have finished Ben Rothwell, but he was definitely going to.
- Steve Mazzagatti should have let Rothwell continue a while longer, but "Big" Ben should be happy that he was allowed to save face. You complaining about a bad call is always a better image to leave the fans with than you getting TKO'ed.
- Glieson Tibau ran through Josh Neer on those takedowns like a Dwight Freeny through a line of red rover, didn't he? Gray Maynard eat your heart out.
- Joe Stevenson is officially a contender once more; Spencer Fisher is officially a gatekeeper for life.
- If Anthony Johnson is actually able to make 170lbs., he's a true force at WW. He could be just two wins away from a title shot if he keeps demolishing guys the way he did against Yoshida.
- Maybe the UFC will finally put Yushin Okami back on a main card now that they don't have to worry about the fact that any impressive win should earn him a title shot.
- Props to Chael Sonnen for staying aggressive in that fight. In my opinion, he has never looked that good before, including in the Dan Miller fight.
- Even though I didn't pick it and the UFC didn't show it, I love that Jorge Rivera win. He'll never be a contender at MW, but he showed tonight that he can still bang. He deserves every cent of whatever he made at UFC 104, and probably more.
- It turns out that Stefan Struve's submissions ARE good enough to finish a grown-ass man. Good to know.