Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Joe Lauzon on Training With BJ Penn


Find more videos like this on BJPENN.COM


Video Props: BJ Penn.com

In a lengthy post added this morning on his personal website (joelauzon.com), successful UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon (18-5, 5-2 UFC) spoke about training in Hilo, Hawaii, with "the best pound for pound fighter in the world," BJ Penn (15-5-1). Joe has already been training in Hilo, along with his brother Dan Lauzon (12-3), for a couple weeks and plans to head home to Boston this Friday.

From the sounds of things, Lauzon's training with Team Penn has been an eye-opening experience in terms of the necessity of a proper strength and conditioning program, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear about Joe heading back to Hawaii before his expected next fight in Boston this August. Increasing his athleticism may be just what Joe needs to hang with explosive fighters like Canada's Sam Stout (15-5-1), who recently out-pointed Lauzon rather handily at UFC 108.

Excerpted from Joe Lauzon's Blog:

It’s been GREAT training. I have only been around for a couple weeks but I can see why BJ has looked so great in his last few fights. Marv and Gary Marinovich are on top of things here. Last time I was out it was a much looser training regiment but that is no longer the case. There is a lot of structure and a LOT of hard work going on around here. BJ amazes me all the time because even when I think he can’t get much better, he continues to find new ways to make big jumps in his training. I say all the time that I think BJ is the best pound for pound fighter in the world, and his continual progression is the reason he stays on top.

On top of all the great stuff I have learned to do from Marv and Gary… I have really learned a lot of things NOT to do. Apparently I am not much of an athlete… because I do pretty much every activity with the worst form they have ever seen. I have horrible flexibility and I am just a nightmare. As Marv put it though: “Imagine what you will be able to do when you become a real athlete.” I guess that just means I have a lot of room for improvement, right? I have made good improvements compared to how I started out though. I will have a LOT of time to improve on things before August rolls around anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment