The big winner for UFC 106 was Josh Koscheck who won both Submission Of The Night and Fight Of The Night honours en route to netting $246,000. The decision to give him both awards is odd given that his fight with Anthony "Rumble" Johnson was widely criticized for being a sloppy affair. That's pretty fair since both fighters were guilty of clear rule infractions. It seems to me that the UFC just wanted to reward Koscheck and Johnson for stepping up at the last minute to save the card, but they really should have done that behind the scenes. After all, if the Fight/ Submission/ KO Of The Night awards come to be seen by the fighters as little more than a popularity contest, they can no longer serve their purpose as motivational tools.
The UFC paid $1,301,000 in disclosed salaries and bonuses at UFC 106, with a whopping %57 of that going to just three fighters: Forrest Griffin, Tito Ortiz, and Josh Koscheck. Note: these figures do not include the so-called "locker room bonuses" that the UFC confidentially hands out to solid performers on a regular basis.
-Forrest Griffin: $250,000 (includes $150,000 win bonus) defeated Tito Ortiz: $250,000
- Josh Koscheck: $246,000 (includes $53,000 win bonus, $70,000 Fight of the Night bonus, $70,000 Submission of the Night bonus) defeated Anthony Johnson: $87,000 (includes $70,000 Fight of the Night bonus)
- Paulo Thiago: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) defeated Jacob Volkmann: $6,000
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $170,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus, $70,000 Knockout of the Night bonus) defeated Luiz Cane: $19,000
- Amir Sadollah: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus) defeated Phil Baroni: $25,000
- Ben Saunders: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) defeated Marcus Davis: $27,000
- Kendall Grove: $44,000 (includes $22,000 win bonus) defeated Jake Rosholt: $15,000
- Brian Foster: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) defeated Brock Larson: $25,000
- Caol Uno: $20,000 fights to majority draw with Fabricio Camoes: $10,000
- George Sotiropoulos: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) defeats Jason Dent: $8,000